Saturday, June 20, 2009

Everything is Connected - Putting the Pieces Together

To be true to my name, and to do a better job of seeking the balance of body, mind and soul - I have decided it is time to make a commitment to my higher, spiritual development (along with mental and physical relaxation) as part of my overall quest for better health. As you can see from previous posts, I spend all too much time in a reactive mode, struggling to deal with physical symptoms, or taking various supplements to repair my physical state and hopefully prevent future mishaps. Isn't life like that? Leaping from one situation or problem to the next, putting out one fire just to find yourself faced with another, feeling busy busy busy... So, I did a little research and decided to take action. Today I went to one of the beautiful local esoteric bookstores and invested in my well-being with two dvd's: Ananda Yoga (Yoga to Awaken the Chakras) and Qigong (Traditional Chinese Exercises for Healing Body, Mind, and Spirit). I also purchased a meditation cd: Pure Meditation by Pema Chodron. I've chosen this approach for very specific reasons. I have known, without a doubt, for many years now that yoga and meditation are practices I that I needed to get involved in... However I did not get beyond reading a few books and agreeing wholeheartedly with the philosophies... putting things into practice is where I lose points. I realize that taking classes locally would be a great way to get active, however, knowing myself and my changing schedule and my failing energy levels - for me a practice I can maintain at home is far more likely to succeed. (I also have a huge discomfort level with being observed, especially when learning something new... issues to work on some other time!) Likewise for the physical exercise component - I need a workout I can do in a small space and at a convenient time. I am also interested in both increasing my energy levels, decreasing my chronic pain, and improving my ability to relax. Thus is the reasoning behind my self-selected wellness program. We'll see how it goes - I intend to benefit hugely from this long delayed plan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment