Monday, August 24, 2009

Charting your course; finding your way...

I've been simultaneously reading more of Master Samael's gnostic works and the classic "The Power of Positive Thinking" by Norman Vincent Peale this past week. Although they come in slightly different packages, the messages contain remarkably similar advice. Would you believe that while concentrating on putting Positive Thinking into action, I was handed a slip of paper that contained one of the bible verses featured in the book while walking down the street just a few days ago? It was from two women standing outside a Christian Science bookstore, but I've walked past that bookstore for four years and have never seen anyone handing out slips of paper there before. I received it thankfully and take it as evidence that when we put our attention on something, we tend to receive more of that same thing. It reminds me of the phrase I learned when taking driving lessons "Look ahead, think ahead, drive ahead;" or the more new age "Where your attention goes, your energy flows." I've also been joking recently about "locating myself in space and time," as a friend and I have experienced a series of synchronistic signs to do with astronomy (and chess, but that one is still unravelling). I love exploring the strange mysteries of life but I also want to do something with the energies and information, not just get lost in the cosmic clues. I think a large part of my problem in not truly living my authentic path is a lack of focus. If I don't even know where I want to go, how can I get there? Another book I am trying to live by this year is "Your Life as Art"by Robert Fritz. It outlines a formula by which you identify where you are now, where you want to go, and then a process for charting your course to get there. Makes sense, doesn't it? I think too often we are afraid to chart that course; concerned that our destination will interfere with where other people think we should go; worried that it is too far or will take too long; that the journey will be too difficult; and so we drive vaguely, maybe getting lost or just badly off-track in the process. We can keep going endlessly in that manner - or maybe it is time to stop for awhile, find the North Star, and ask where am I trying to go? Although in reality I do not really like driving, I think this is an analogy I will try to work with for awhile - because when you get in a vehicle and start to drive you at least usually have a destination in mind and a plan for getting there. I will try to live more "on purpose" and see about creating some new patterns - and a little positive thinking probably won't hurt either ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment